Did you know that fiber fights fat? Daily meal plans high in fiber not only help you lose weight faster, but have an array of health benefits. Dietary fiber is different from other food components such as fats, proteins, and carbs that your body breaks down and absorbs. This is because the human body can’t digest fiber; instead, it passes fairly intact through your stomach, small intestine, colon and then out of your body.
Why is fiber important? It flushes toxins from the body and provides numerous other health benefits as well:
- Aids in weight loss. Fiber serves as an appetite suppressant. It also tends to be less calorie-dense, providing fewer calories for the same volume of food. We are breaking down fat rapidly on the Diet Center program. Fiber provides a catalyst to remove what we break down.
- Enhances bowel function and health. Fiber decreases constipation and lowers the risk of hemorrhoids, diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Normalizes blood sugar levels. Fiber slows the absorption of sugar. This helps improve blood sugar levels and, consequently, helps manage diabetes.
- Improves cholesterol levels. Fiber may help to lower LDL or “bad” cholesterol as well as total cholesterol, therefore reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Supports the immune system. Fiber supports good bacteria, or intestinal flora, and speeds the elimination of wastes and toxins from the body.
The average American consumes a mere 5 to 10 grams of fiber per day, while the American Dietetic Association recommends between 25 and 35 grams. On the Diet Center program, we ensure that clients are consuming a minimum of 25 grams per day. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, meal replacement products and fun-flavored fiber drinks all contribute to your daily fiber intake, while on the program.
Eating a diet rich in fiber helps keep your digestive system healthy and can lower your risk for numerous diseases, while at the same time helping you lose weight! Fiber fights fat!